Skip to content
Journal, book chapter, and long articles (5,000+ words)
- Kathleen Azali, “Digitalising knowledge: education, libraries, archives,” in Ross Tapsell and Edwin Jurriëns (eds.), Digital Indonesia: Connectivity and Divergence, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2017.
- Kathleen Azali, “Cashless in Indonesia: Gelling mobile e-friction?” Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, vol. 33 no. 3, December 2016.
- Gwenaël Njoto-Feillard and Kathleen Azali, “Is a New Entrepreneurial Generation in Post-Reformasi Indonesia?” Trends in Southeast Asia, 2016 no. 13.
- Kathleen Azali and Andriew Budiman, “Designing a Design Conference-Festival: reflective notes from Surabaya,” PORTAL Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies vol. 13 no. 2, 2016 (link).
- Benedict Anderson, Kathleen Azali, Hui Yew-Foong, Michael Montesano, Danilyn Rutherford, and John Sidel. “Symposium on Benedict R. O’G. Anderson’s A Life Beyond Boundaries: A Memoir.” SOJOURN: Journal of Social Issues in Southeast Asia vol. 31 no. 2: 575–621, 2016.
- Kathleen Azali, “Youth and Student Activism,” in Widjajanti Mulyono Santoso (ed.), Social Sciences in Indonesia: Development and Challenges, Jakarta: LIPI – Yayasan Obor, 2014.
- Kathleen Azali, “(Personal) Archiving and History: Medayu Agung and Oei Hiem Hwie,” in Archival Work and Archving Art & Culture in Indonesia. Jakarta: Komunitas Bambu & Indonesian Visual Art Archive (IVAA), 2014.
- Kathleen Azali and Ulla Fiona, “Research on Contemporary Indonesia: Complexities and Intricacies to Explore,” SOJOURN: Journal of Social Issues in Southeast Asia vol. 30 no. 1, 2015.
- Kathleen Azali, “Pataya: the construction of a hanging-out space for gay communities in Surabaya,” Makara, Journal of Humanities & Social Science vol. 16 no. 2. Jakarta: University of Indonesia, 2012.
- Kathleen Azali, “Open Access in Indonesia?,” in Networked Researcher Open Access Week, anthologised by Ernesto Priego, Department of Library and Information Science, City University London, 2012.
- Kathleen Azali, “Notes from Design It Yourself”, in Wardhani, Farah; Kurniawan, Agung; Murti, Yoshi Fajar Kresno (eds). Creative Collectives: Dynamics of Visual Art in Developing Collaboration of (Creative) Ideas and Economy (1938 – 2011), Yogyakarta: Indonesian Visual Art Archive (IVAA), 2011.
Reviews and shorter publications
- “Fake news and increased persecution in Indonesia,” ISEAS Perspective no. 61 2017.
- “Boosting youth entrepreneurship in creative industries” in Inside Indonesia no. 120, special issue on Youth Employment Prospects and Aspirations, edited by Suzanne Naafs & Yatun Sastramidjaja, 2015.
- Book review: “Surabaya, 1945 – 2010: Neighbourhood, State and Economy in Indonesia’s City of Struggle (Robbie Peters, 2013),” New Asia Books, 2015.
- Exhibition review: “Shelling by the Sea Shore of Tanjung Perak,” a review of an exhibition about Surabaya port and maritime trade, Whiteboard Journal, 2015.
- “The role of the internet and social media in the 2014 Indonesian elections” in IIAS The Newsletter 69. Leiden: International Institute of Asian Studies (IIAS), 2014.
- “Practices and Networks of Literacy: Alternative libraries in Indonesia,” in Cornell University Southeast Asia Bulletin, 2014.
- “State Policy and the Cultural Politics of Heritage-Making in East and Southeast Asia,” in IIAS The Newsletter 67. Leiden: International Institute of Asian Studies (IIAS), 2014.
- Book review: “Asia as Method: Towards Deimperialization,” New Asia Books, 2013.
“The Restoration of an Indonesian Classic, Lewat Djam Malam” in film.culture360.com: Connecting Asia and Europe through Film. Singapore: Asia-Europe Foundation, 2013.
- “Film review: Press Pause Play: a film about hope, fear, and digital culture,” Indonesian Netaudio Festival vol. 1. Yogyakarta: Indonesian Netlabel Union, 2012.
- “Book review: Gender Pluralism: Southeast Asia since Early Modern Times (Peletz, 2010),” Jurnal Gandrung vol. 2 no. 1, 2012.
- “Review: Rumah Abu Han: A Historic Ancestral House in Surabaya,” IIAS The Newsletter 59, Spring 2012. Leiden: International Institute for Asian Studies.
Invited Talks, Conference, Workshops
- “Connecting design, culture, art, and technology across the archipelago.” Presented in the 7th Free & Open Source Software Asia (FOSSASIA) Summit, Singapore Science Center, 17 – 19 March.
- “E-commerce development in Indonesia: A new engine of growth?” Presented with Yose Rizal Damuri and Siwage Dharmanegara in the Symposium on E-Commerce, ASEAN Economic Integration, and Competition Policy and Law, in the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 16 March.
- “Digitalising Knowledge: Education, Libraries, Archives.” Paper presented at the annual Indonesia Update (Digital Indonesia: challenges and opportunities), Australian National University, 16 – 17 September 2016.
- “Urban Youth, Representation, and Anticipatory Politics.” Paper presented at the 5th Annual Southeast Asian Studies Symposium, Oxford University, 14 – 16 April 2016.
- “On the Materials and Labour of Urban Youth Activism in Komunitas.” Paper presented at the Reclaiming the City: Urban Social Movements and the Civil Societies in Indonesia, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 23 February 2016.
- “Youth and the City : The Role of the next generation.” Paper presented at the 3rd Urban Social Forum, Universitas 17 Agustus 1945, organized by Kota Kita and Surabaya Municipality Government, 19 December 2015.
- “Information fragmentation in orality-based, networked society,” in Mobilizing for Change: Tomorrow’s Leaders Taking Action Today panel, presented in the Asia-Pacific Urban Forum Youth Assembly, organized by the Indonesia Ministry of Public works and UN Habitat, Jakarta, Indonesia, 17-18 October 2015.
- “Design (In)Action.” Paper presented at the Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Conference, University of Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia, 7-9 August 2015.
- “People, New Media, and Politics in Post-2014 Election Indonesia.” Paper presented at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore, 26 August 2015.
- “Indonesia Youthful Population: Opportunities and Challenges.” Paper presented to the Niigata University students at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore, 5 March 2015.
- “Ayorek! Public Amplification.” Paper presented at the Equator Symposium, Jogjakarta Biennale, Indonesia, November 2014.
- “Visions for a Creative City.” Paper presented at the Creativity and the City Conference, Goethe Institut, Hanoi, Vietnam, co-organized by Goethe Institut, UNESCO, British Council, and Hamburg University, 1 October 2014.
- “Reflection on Youth and Student Activism.” Paper presented at the Reflections on Social Sciences in Indonesia: Opportunities and Challenges, a national seminar organized by LIPI (Indonesian Institute of Sciences), Jakarta, Indonesia, 12-13 November 2013.
- “Ayorek! Building urban knowledge dynamics platform as a foundation for creative and collaborative participation.” Paper presented in the International Conference on Creative Industry, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, Surabaya, Indonesia, 9 November 2013 (with Gunawan Tanuwidjaja).
- “Ayorek! Recording the City of Surabaya.” Presented in TEDx Tugu Pahlawan, University of Ciputra, Surabaya, Indonesia, October 2013.
- “Tempat Ngeber (Cruising Place) and the Construction of Belonging.” Paper presented at the Friendship & the Convivial City Workshop, organized by the National University of Singapore and the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, 5-6 September 2013.
- “(Dis)assembling the Libraries.” Paper presented at the 8th Asian Graduate Forum of Southeast Asian Studies, organized by the Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 24-26 July 2013.
- “Alternative Spaces.” Paper presented at the Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Conference, National University of Singapore, 1-4 July 2013.
- “Third Place in the Library: Supporting participation and engagement.” Paper presented at the International Conference on Metropolitan Public Libraries, New Guangzhou Library, China, June 2013.
- “Practices and Networks of Literacy: Alternative libraries in Indonesia.”Paper presented at the 15th Southeast Asia Graduate Conference, Cornell University, Ithaca, 1-3 March 2013
- “Pataya: Preliminary study on the construction of cruising place in Surabaya.” Paper presented at the Indonesian Graduate Student Colloquium, University of Indonesia, Jakarta, 11-13 September 2012.
- “Design It Yourself: Building Connectivity and Local Knowledge.” Paper presented at the 4th Arte-Polis International Conference, Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia, 5-7 July 2012.